African French Speaking Organisation (AFSOR) is a Not-for-Profit registered charity aimed at helping individuals, mainly from Black and Minority Ethnic community, upgrade the skills needed in employment, education and in other social lives.
AFSOR was created:
* - To relieve poverty, sickness, isolation and deprivation of the “BME” living in the UK * - To secure a lasting improvement of Black and Minority Ethnic community social life
* - To facilitate the integration of the BME community to British Society as a whole
Our main activities include the delivery of ESOL, ICT/Computing skills training, employment skills, workshops, arts, sports/recreation for all, and other leisure time occupation in the interest of social welfare.
When carrying out activities, we recognise our obligation to comply with the legislation and other requirements to reducing the environmental impacts of our organisation.
It is our aim to: * - Operate in an environmentally responsible manner as possible.
* - Raise awareness for a green environment
* - Increase the environmental consciousness of the organisation leaders, staff, volunteers and
We will achieve our main goals if together we follow the simple instructions and procedures below for a green environment in the workplace.
• Energy Conservation
• Reduction of Materials Consumption
• Reduce Fossil of Fuel Consumption and Air Pollution
• Minimise Waste and Increase Recycling
We have taken good practice actions to lower our environmental impact and from time-to-time,
we will inform or remind all staff and service beneficiaries including visitors of our commitment to reducing our environmental impact.
Good Practice Actions to Lower Environmental Impact
1. Energy Conservation
• Turn off light lights when not in use and use natural light when possible
• Turn off, not just log off, all computers, terminals, and other office equipment at the end of every work day
• Activate the power down features on the computer and monitor to enter into a low-power or sleep mode when not in use
• Unplug equipment that drains energy even when not in use such as: fans, faxes, printers
• Use low energy light bulbs whenever possible
• Use the stairs rather than lifts when possible
• Limit the use of space heaters
2. Reduction of Materials Consumption
• Avoid using paper by distributing and storing documents electronically
• Print and photocopy only what you need and double-side your jobs when possible
• Tell staff, volunteers and beneficiaries that we prefer double-sided documents
• Use the back side of old documents for faxes, scrap papers or drafts
3. Reduce Fossil Fuel Consumption and Air Pollution
• Come to work or to skills-for-life training by public transport or bike, whenever possible
• Share a car if you use a car
• Walk to work or to skills-for-life training if feasible
4. Minimise Waste and Increase Recycling
• Use durable reusable drink containers, plates and utensils
• Reduce the amount of toner in documents that will be printed
• When possible, print documents in black and white whenever possible
• Recycle paper products, plastics, binders, folders, catalogues, boxes, bottles, cans, batteries, electronics, toners and ink cartridges if possible
• Recycle or donate old furniture and electronics through local recycling schemes
Reaching our main goals
We aim to reach our main goals by:
• Publishing this green policy online, on brochures, flyers
• Informing verbally all the community about our environmental policy
• Ensuring that leaders, staff, volunteers and other members receive an adequate training in environmental responsibility
• Introducing a waste management system in order to reduce the amount of waste being produced and disposed
We know, it will take some time for some of community people to get fully involved and achieve our green policy objectives but one thing is for sure, we will all do anything possible to achieve the goals.
Afsor is a registered charity in England and Wales No 1118459